Friday, May 21, 2010

Pillow Rescue

My mom and dad have this pillow that's been around for many many years. It finally bit the dust, and my mom asked me to rescue the beautiful tapestry on the front... so I did!

I carefully removed the front panel which was in fine condition (other than being dirty from couch use for probably 15 years). I used my seam ripper to remove the front.  I tossed the back fabric and the stuffing which I am sure had dust mites out the wazoo.  I then washed the tapestry part with some woolite, and BOY did it need washing!  I hung it up to dry and went to the fabric store.  I got some dec weight black fabric and some cool cord for the trim.

I never have sewn using a trim before so I looked at some projects on some of my favorite DIY blogs, and figured it couldn't be that hard! I then used the old noggin and figured why not use the zipper foot. I recently have been convinced that sewing can't be that hard, so why not give things a try that I've never done before!  The zipper foot for my sewing machine in theory is used for zippers, but is also perfect for getting right up against the edge of something. (Not sure if this is a conventional way to do trim, but it made sense in my head!)

I first basted the trim to the front, so it would be easier in the long run, I did this on my machine using the longest stitch length. Then I pinned all around right sides together, and sewed right up against the trim which was sandwiched between the front and back. I flipped it inside out and POOF it worked!

I then got Pete to help me stuff the new pillow form into the cover. Then I sewed up the hole and it looks great (if I do say so myself). Then I took pictures and realized that the colors in the tapestry magically match MY couch just perfectly... BUT  ho hum, I did re-do the pillow for my parents so I will give it back to them.

Sunday, May 9, 2010


I made my mom and my mother-in-law coasters for mother's day!  They turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. A couple of tiles, a few images, a little mod podge, some polyurethane, cork contact paper, and some satin ribbon, along with a paintbrush, a glue gun and some free time, got these puppies done.  I was inspired by a tutorial I saw on Prudent Baby.

The set for my mom has wrens on them, she has some nesting in her yard.

The set for my mother-in-law has different animals on them. A kangaroo rat, a bee, a chicken, and a seahorse.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Throw Pillow Covers

I have had the same futon and throw pillows since college.  I used to use a nice tablecloth/flat sheet to cover the futon. No matter how well I tucked it, it would fall off, or get into a bunch. The two mismatched throw pillows have been around just as long as the sheet cover.  One is bright blue fleece, and the other a blue/green/purple plaid chenille.

Pete and I just moved and decided that it was time to buy a proper futon cover that zipped around. We bought a nice solid lavender colored cover. I then decided that I would make matching covers for the pillows, so that we would have pillows that matched the futon.

I made them out of three pieces of fabric, front, and two back pieces so I could slide the pillow in, yet have the back look finished. 

This is what turned out:



Friday, May 7, 2010

Sun Hat

So the 2nd try I tweaked a few things, and poof it actually worked!  In my last post I mentioned that sewing is not my strong suit. I also mentioned that every time I have messed with a sewing pattern, I have ruined the project... well this time the changes worked! WOO HOO!!!

I've been obsessing over this cute hat for days now.  I enlarged the pattern to 130%, and added an extra inch in length. (I continued the flared line one inch longer and drew a straight line across the bottom) This worked perfectly!  This pattern is made with two fabrics so it can be flipped inside out for two different looks. The best part is that it took me less than an hour, except if you count blogging time I went over ;-)

Here are the results:

Thursday, May 6, 2010

1st Try = Not Quite Right

SO as I said before there is a sweet project post that I will post about probably on Sunday...

In the mean time I have been obsessing over the cutest hat on Prudent Baby!!! As many of you know,  I am not much of a sewer. Most of my projects are paper based, but I figured I would give this hat a go. I went to the fabric store, hemed and hawed over what fabric to get and finally chose some. I got cute fabric to make my nephew a hat, and I also got fabric to make myself a hat.

I then looked at the pattern and saw that people were having sizing issues. I know my nephew has a 19.5" circumference head. I measured the pattern, did some math and choose to make the pattern at 120%.That was my first mistake!  I think its going to be too big. The hat fits me in a funny kind of a way. BUT I think  I will pop the hat in the mail to see if it fits him or not. He will probably just pull it off his head anyways!

I have a 22" head. I think I might make the pattern for me the same size, but add a few inches in the length. (This is where I get myself into trouble! Sewing isn't my strongest suite, and making changes to a pattern on a whim never turns out well for me, but I might give it a go anyways.)

So here are some pictures of me wearing this hat...pattern at 120% for my nephew...

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Coming Soon!

I promise, I promise, I will post some crafts soon! I've been working on a pretty fun project the last few days but I can't post it until I have given it for Mothers day. SO hold your horses, I will post soon!

For now you can entertain yourself on Prudent Baby. I've been enjoying the Crafts section... My mother-in-law sent me the link to see a sewing pattern she made for my sister-in-law who just had a baby. A good friend of mine is expecting a little girl this fall, and I think some of the crafts on Prudent Baby would make great shower gifts!